Digital and Special Projects Editor
Application Deadline: Friday, August 26, 2016
St. Louis Public Radio is looking for an obsessively passionate digital journalist to join our dynamic, entrepreneurial, risk-taking news team. We have been building our digital, social media and data analytics team for several years and are looking for someone who can set the vision for the station's digital assets and guide the newsroom in seeking new, innovative ways to tell informative and impactful stories.
The right candidate is someone who follows the trends in digital journalism and social media and who knows how to apply the right tools to our newsroom. The ideal candidate can see the big picture and can creatively fit in the small pieces that make the big picture work. What's more, as the person responsible for the newsroom's special projects, the ideal person can think creatively about storytelling and work across departments to bring a project from concept to glorious reality.
The digital and special projects editor is extraordinarily well-organized, accustomed to documenting a project's process and communicating the needs and process of the project. The editor is also comfortable evaluating the newsroom's analytics to help other editors use that knowledge to make decisions about our coverage and storytelling decisions.
On top of all that, the right person will have experience supervising a team of people (in this case, anywhere from four and eight). This team works on visual presentation, data analysis and development of digital tools and techniques for the newsroom.
- Participate with editorial team in daily and longer range planning of news coverage and presentation.
- Supervise a team that works on visual presentation, data analysis and development of digital tools and techniques.
- Instigate and support innovation and improvement in digital work, including our website, social media and other visual communication.
- Guide special projects from conception, working across groups to create innovative, multi-platform content.
- Serve on search committees and coordinate searches.
Supervision Received: Supervision is received from the Executive Editor of St. Louis Public Radio.
Supervision Exercised: Supervision is exercised over four to eight newsroom staff.
- A bachelor's degree in a related field is required.
- Minimum of two years of directly related management experience is required.
- At least five years of newsroom or equivalent journalistic experience; commitment to journalistic values and in-depth reporting and the ability to bring out the best in colleagues under newsroom pressures.
- Track record that demonstrates you can lead innovation in digital news and a drive to improve the ways we serve the needs, concerns and interests of St. Louisans.
- Creativity, initiative, common sense, good judgment.
- Capacity to learn radio editing or experience in radio.
- Ability to adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures and organizational structures, in order to accommodate an evolving work environment.
- Desire to build successful relationships with audience, co-workers and administrators.
- Communication skills that allow effective work as a team leader and team member in order to maximize the effectiveness of the work groups.
- Maturity, reliability, composure and stability under pressure in order to handle on-the job challenges.
- Willingness to abide by a high standard of professional ethics in order to ensure the journalistic integrity of the organization.
- Ability to think creatively and critically about programs and activities in order to challenge the status quo and promote continuous improvement.
- Effective spoken and written communications skills in order to motivate others, provide compelling explanations or instructions, listen effectively and make high-quality correspondence, documents and presentations.
NOTE:All applicants must apply through the University of Missouri - St. Louis: JOB ID 20652.