Arts & Culture Reporter
Application Deadline: Friday, February 09, 2018
St. Louis is a mid-size city, but it has thriving and eclectic arts communities. When it comes to music, we have everything from the blues to hip-hop, to classical and opera. There is a vibrant theater scene, several major arts institutions, innumerable galleries, a dynamic street art scene and an array of businesses that support them all.
St. Louis Public Radio is seeking an agile, creative, open-minded and driven reporter to cover the arts, artists and culture in the region.
We're looking for a reporter who can work arts and culture as a beat and report news on the region's arts institutions while also producing enterprising stories for listeners and readers on how artists create their work. The arts reporter also co-hosts the station's Cut & Paste podcast, which features in-depth conversations with artists. Other duties include contributing to coverage of breaking news and reporting on significant developments in the St. Louis region.
The best candidates for this job will have:
- Excellent writing skills with an ability to think creatively about telling stories for radio and the web, and to juggle a variety of assignments.
- Demonstrated talent for discovering stories that go beyond press releases.
- The ability to meet deadlines, respond to editing and adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures and organizational structures.
- A knack for building successful relationship with artists, musicians, curators, promoters and anyone else whose work touches the arts.
- Effective spoken and written communications skills.
- Successful candidates will exhibit maturity, reliability, composure and stability under pressure. They understand and abide by a high standard of professional ethics.
In addition, you must have at least at least five years working as a reporter or producer in a newsroom environment, with at least two years of experience covering the arts.
- Bachelor's degree
- Audio production skills
- Web writing skills
- Amazing social media chops
Please note, you must complete the online application through the University of Missouri - St. Louis website to be considered for this position.